As essential as protein is to our diets and workout routines, it’s not always a grab-and-go situation. For people with fast-paced lifestyles, convenience is key, so we tend to skip this macronutrient if we can’t get it faster than a bag of chips.
That’s where protein snacks come in: they’re able to give us that muscle-building boost in a snap. They come in many forms, from shakes to jerky, but our inner sweet tooth, of course, loves the “dessert” options. These are the ones that deliver a hefty amount of protein while tasting like our favorite childhood chocolate bar.
So, what does count for a satisfying protein snack and could everyone (even non-gym buffs!) enjoy them? We taste-tested 5 from our assortment to give you our honest review. Peep the video for our first impressions and scroll for a verdict!
5 PROTEIN SNACKS THAT TASTE LIKE DESSERT
1. One Bar Birthday Cake (60g), P159 WHAT IT IS: An easy favorite among One Bar loyalists, this vanilla-flavored bar (with sprinkles!) captures the simple taste of a classic birthday cake, even as it packs 20g of protein and only 1g of sugar.
OUR VERDICT: “It’s chewy, a little sweet, and doesn’t taste healthy at all! The cake flavor comes out well, with the icing serving a hit of vanilla.”
2. Barebells Salty Peanut Protein Bar (55g), P205 (limited time only)’ WHAT IT IS: With 20g of protein, no added sugar, and the always delicious combo of peanuts and creamy chocolate in its corner, this energizing bar is super decadent yet entirely guilt-free.
OUR VERDICT: “Nutty, chewy, creamy, not too sweet, and pleasantly reminiscent of a cookie. The layers of texture make it interesting to eat!”
3. Hammer Nutrition Chocolate Peanut Hammer Vegan Protein Bar, P150 WHAT IT IS: Made from a blend of clean, plant-based proteins, this option makes for a no-fuss recovery snack that’ll get vegans and non-vegans alike through plenty of rigorous workouts.
OUR VERDICT: “Mildly earthy, a bit on the dry side, and graham cracker-like in flavor. Ideal for people who like their snacks more neutral than sweet.”
4. Raw Rev Glo Dark Chocolate Cashew & Mint (46g), P130 WHAT IT IS: The smoothest of the bunch, this refreshing bar offers a blend of cashews, dark chocolate, and mint, for the dessert fiend craving a healthy twist on a beloved classic.
OUR VERDICT: “Moist, creamy, and packed with lots of unique flavors. When you bite into the crushed mint chips folded into the batter, it’s a burst of freshness!”
5. Quest Peanut Butter Protein Cookie (58g), P160 (limited time only) WHAT IT IS: Soft and slightly crumbly to satisfy your oven-baked cravings, this cookie packs 15g of protein, 9g of fiber, and only 2g of sugar—perfect for the crazed cookie lover looking to get a little leaner.
OUR VERDICT: “The peanut butter is very subdued in this one and it oddly smells a bit like cheese. It’s crumbly and almost cake-y, and the flavor will keep you guessing.”
Which one would you prefer to munch on? Tell us below!
To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!
Like us on Facebook.
Follow us on Instagram (@beautymnl).
Tweet us on Twitter (@beauty_MNL).
Watch us on YouTube.
The BeautyMNL App is also available for iOS and Android! For Apple devices, download it on mobile here. For Android devices, download it on mobile here. Stay tuned for updates and app exclusive promos!